When we read Paul’s statement in Colossians 1:19 about the fullness of God dwelling in Jesus we should ask ourselves what that should mean for us. Here are some suggestions.
First, Jesus can meet the needs of everyone personally. Since he is divine, he has sufficient spiritual resources to provide for each of us exactly what we need at any given time. And he also knows how to give his grace in a manner that suits all of us.
Second, Jesus meets the needs of everyone exclusively. No-one else can meet our needs. We cannot even imagine that Jesus can meet 99%, so we can then use others for the remaining 1%. No, Jesus is the exclusive Saviour, not merely at the beginning of the Christian life, but all the way through it. And he will be the endless source of heavenly provision in the eternal world as well.
Third, Jesus can meet the needs of everyone simultaneously. This application has two sides to it. On the one hand, Jesus can meet the needs of all his followers at the same time (there are no queues at the throne of grace, composed of persons waiting their turn). Millions of his people on earth, as well as those in heaven, receive from him at the same time. On the other hand, each of them can receive a wide range of spiritual blessings simultaneously. Each may have an awareness of certain needs, but Jesus sees all that they require and gives that to them. Our prayers for divine help are never limited to our perceptions.
Fourth, Jesus can meet the needs of everyone permanently. This is perhaps the biggest challenge we face because we are bombarded with reports of new techniques and new discoveries about how to live the Christian life. There is only one way to live it, and there will never be another way, and that is by depending fully and always on Jesus.
Fifthly, there are no valid excuses for failing to receive from Jesus. His grace is available and all we have to do is ask for it. Our failures are our own faults, but the wonderful reality is that our faults can be forgiven by Jesus.